ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: [solved] How to prevent "unknown resolver" errors?
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:58:34 GMT
Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 7:22:42 PM, Daniel Dekany wrote:
> Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 5:26:04 PM, Brown, Carlton wrote:
>> It's documented, although the implications are not explained enough.
>> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-release/concept.html#cache
>>
>> The subtle part is that Ivy actually uses 2 caches, a resolution cache
>> and a repository cache.
[snip]
> But I guess I shouldn't use ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache as
> *repository* cache either. Certainly some other projects will use that
> too, and if they don't use lockStrategy="artifact-lock"... and I bet
> most will not. Well, it's rarely a problem, as two projects had to be
> built in parallel for that to be problem... but still, does it boil
> down to that most projects (or company) should use it's own caches
> (and not forgetting to set the *resolution* caches too)?
[snip]

To answer my above question... I now tried using separate *resolution*
caches for each ivysetting.xml-s, but with the common per-user
*repository* cache, ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache. As the
ivysetting.xml-specific resolver names still get into
${user.home}/.ivy2/cache (yes, into the *repository* cache part of
it), it can still cause "undefined resolver" errors in *other*
projects that use ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache too. It doesn't cause
errors in my project though, as it knows the custom resolvers.

OK, so to recapitulate for the mail archives (experts please correct
where I'm mistaken):

First, note that there is *repository* cache VS *resolution* cache:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-release/concept.html#cache

It seems to me, the only safe solution is using a separate
*repository* cache for each ivysettings.xml (at least), but it's
enough to associate that cache with the custom resolvers (not to the
built-in resolvers like "default", "local" and like; those you can
<include> in your ivysettings.xml), so the cache of the Ibiblio
artifacts can still remain global. Oh, and
lockStrategy="artifact-lock" should not be forgotten if the repository
cache will be accessed concurrently.

Also, if I get it right, you should use at least one *resolution*
cache per ivysettings.xml per user account, and that you better
associate to each resolvers, i.e. even to the built-in ones. Actually
I have to do it with even finer granularity: I use one resolution
cache per ivysettings.xml per user account per project, because two
projects that use the same ivysettings.xml may be built in parallel
(automated integration builds on the server).

Well... I hope people after me will Google for Ivy "unknown resolver"
with greater success.

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany