ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: [solved] How to prevent "unknown resolver" errors?
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:40:20 GMT
Thursday, March 12, 2009, 2:23:16 PM, Brown, Carlton wrote:

> [...]

I would believe that the authors are aware of this. Simply, the name
of the last resolver of an artifact is stored in the
ivydata-[revision].properties file as the "resolver" property. And
that file belongs to the repository cache, not to the resolution
cache, right?

>> OK, so to recapitulate for the mail archives (experts please
>> correct where I'm mistaken):
>>
>> First, note that there is *repository* cache VS *resolution* cache:
>> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-release/concept.html#cache
>>
>> It seems to me, the only safe solution is using a separate
>> *repository* cache for each ivysettings.xml (at least), but
>> it's enough to associate that cache with the custom resolvers
>> (not to the built-in resolvers like "default", "local" and
>> like; those you can <include> in your ivysettings.xml), so
>> the cache of the Ibiblio artifacts can still remain global.
>> Oh, and lockStrategy="artifact-lock" should not be forgotten
>> if the repository cache will be accessed concurrently.
>>
>> Also, if I get it right, you should use at least one
>> *resolution* cache per ivysettings.xml per user account, and
>> that you better associate to each resolvers, i.e. even to the
>> built-in ones.

The last warning is certainly needless, since certainly you can't
assign different resolution caches to different resolvers... it's a
ivysettings.xml-scope setting as far as I saw.

>> Actually I have to do it with even finer
>> granularity: I use one resolution cache per ivysettings.xml
>> per user account per project, because two projects that use
>> the same ivysettings.xml may be built in parallel (automated
>> integration builds on the server).
>
> Without seeing your config files I may be missing something somewhere,
> but this seems like just a very circuitous way of specifying different
> default caches in each ivysettings file that you use.   This would
> assign both the resolution cache and repository cache uniquely in each
> settings file.

Simply, since multiple projects use the same ivysettings.xml, and they
may be built in parallel (think about a continuos integration server),
and the resolution caches shouldn't be accessed concurrently
(according to the Ivy docs), I think I can't use just one resolution
cache per ivysettings.xml. Can I? And then I'm still lucky that the
same project is not built in two parallel processes sometimes... :)

> This message contains PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL
> information that is intended only for use by the
> named recipient. If you are not the named recipient,
> any disclosure, dissemination, or action based on
> the contents of this message is prohibited. In such
> case please notify us and destroy and delete all
> copies of this transmission.  Thank you.

Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany