ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: How to prevent "unknown resolver" errors?
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 18:22:42 GMT
Wednesday, March 11, 2009, 5:26:04 PM, Brown, Carlton wrote:
> It's documented, although the implications are not explained enough.
> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-release/concept.html#cache
>
> The subtle part is that Ivy actually uses 2 caches, a resolution cache
> and a repository cache.

Ahem. Indeed, indeed, it's there. In a way, that is... most users will
overlook it, I'm pretty sure. Even I did... ;) I think people should
be warned about this at the places that show how to create/use custom
ivysettings.xml-s.

> The repository cache is what you're setting when assign the cache
> attribute to a resolver. The resolution cache, on the other hand, is
> unique and is not to be used concurrently even between processes
> using the same configuration. If you need to have distinct
> resolution caches, then you have to set a default cache per each
> ivysettings.xml. If you do that, most likely you won't need to
> specify a cache on each resolver.

I see... But I guess I shouldn't use ${user.home}/.ivy2/cache as
*repository* cache either. Certainly some other projects will use that
too, and if they don't use lockStrategy="artifact-lock"... and I bet
most will not. Well, it's rarely a problem, as two projects had to be
built in parallel for that to be problem... but still, does it boil
down to that most projects (or company) should use it's own caches
(and not forgetting to set the *resolution* caches too)?

--
Best regards,
 Daniel Dekany