ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: IvyDE cache location
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 21:40:34 GMT

Le 16 janv. 09 à 06:25, Yu, Aaron (IT) a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem of using Ivy and IvyDE.
> At my firm we are in the process of switching to Ivy for managing our
> java dependencies. We do not want thousands of developers to resolve
> dependencies in  different  ways so we provide a centralized , read-
> only
> ivy-settings.xml file  which is used by all developers. However, this
> presents us with a problem. We would like to  make it possible for our
> users to set their own cache locations, because if  they  use the same
> cache location for all projects, when  they clean the cache in one
> project, the whole cache location will be cleaned, and this  will
> crash
> the building of other projects.
>
> I know we can create a project-specific ivy-settings.xml file, and use
> 'defaultCacheDir', 'resolutionCacheDir' and 'repositoryCacheDir'
> attributes in 'caches' element to set the project-based cache
> location.
> But as I mentioned above, to make all the projects more manageable and
> shareable, we do not encourage developers to have the project-specific
> ivy setting file.
>
> To get around this we have implemented a new properties page for the
> ivyde plugin under the existing one called simply 'Cache'. This
> allows a
> user to choose the cache location. The choices are: Default
> ($HOME/.ivy2) and Workspace (workspace_dir/.metadata/.ivy2). We then
> reset the ivy.home System property and trigger re-resolution of all
> project ivy classpath containers when the users changes this setting
> (the change affects all projects in the workspace since ivy core reads
> the ivy.home System property to find out where it should do its
> caching). However, we are now wondering if what is really needed is a
> private cache area for each project in the workspace, for example:
> workspace_dir/.metadata/.ivy2/project_name. But this is not possible
> at
> the moment due to the way in which ivy core decided where to place its
> cache. (And, as we said, we do not want users to have to specify their
> own ivy-settings for each project for this reason alone.)
>
> Other people at our firm have also pointed out that it might be better
> if ivy core used a version specific cache location by default since
> there could be differences in cache metadata between versions. This
> would cause cache corruption if different versions of ivy core were
> run
> on the same system.
>
> All this seems to indicate that the subject of caching needs
> rethinking
> in ivy core and ivyde, and we would like to ask for some suggestions
> on
> this.

It seems to me that the way you want to use caching is actually like
using the retrieve job.
The retrieve job would get the dependencies and put it in your project
lib directory (somehow your by-project cache), and the IvyDE would
build the classpath based on the content of that lib directory.
Unfortunately this feature is not implemented yet: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-56

Nicolas