ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Mitch Gitman" <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IvyDE cache location
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 22:07:09 GMT
Nicolas, correct me if I'm misstating something, but I look at an
ivy:retrieve-like capability as a nice-to-have but not necessary feature for
IvyDE.

IvyDE itself really just exists as a nice convenience, so that classpaths
resolve correctly in Eclipse. How it does that--whether with ivy:cachepath
or with an ivy:retrieve to a specified directory--is somewhat of an
implementation detail in this respect. Either way, the
ClassNotFoundExceptions go away.

The tool of record is still the build script itself. Once you have IvyDE
doing Ivy retrieves to the lib directory that the build script is doing
retrieves to, it kind of feels to me like you're letting the IDE (the
second-class citizen) encroach into the realm of the build script (the
first-class citizen).

That concern aside, suppose the developer has blown away their Ivy cache. I
don't see why the issue Aaron describes cannot be addressed simply by
right-clicking on the Ivy icon in Package Explorer and selecting Resolve.
Granted, it takes a little getting used to for developers to get in the
habit of this, but this seems like part of the contract of using Ivy. As an
Ivy consumer, you need to have some understanding as to when a resolve is
necessary.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org