ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Mitch Gitman" <>
Subject Re: Clean way to differ between runtime and compile time dependencies? (So I do not include runtime deps in my war)
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 01:01:18 GMT
Few quick responses inline.

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Kent Larsson <>wrote:

> Thank you for helping me out Mitch, I appreciate it!
> I see what you did with those two configurations. I'll retrieve them
> all and create classpaths from their config directories then. I guess
> one directory will hold compile + runtime dependencies and the other
> only runtime dependencies. It seems like a nice solution!
> For the publications part, I don't have a local repository to publish
> anything. And the project isn't really a dependency of any other
> company project. Also it's not dependent on any other project created
> by our company. That's why I used Ivy only to retrieve the
> dependencies, and I built the war myself and put it where it should
> go. As I'm new to Ivy maybe there are some advantages of having
> <publications> to a local repository in my situation I'm missing? Or
> should I continue as I am doing it?

You're right that there's a less compelling argument for publishing
top-level artifacts like WARs to an Ivy repository. I'd be curious what
rationales others out there have found for publishing EARs or WARs to their
Ivy repository.

> When it comes to the Wicket dependency I'm not sure if I understood
> you. It's a project not created by our company. We retrieve everything
> from the Maven2 repositories. If you are suggestion that I should
> change the pom.xml in the Maven2 repository then I can't as it's not
> under my control. Please elaborate a bit, I might just misunderstand
> you and there's something I can do to improve our build process.

I'd been mistakenly assuming that the Wicket dependency was coming from your
own enterprise repository, and so it was under your control. If you're
getting the dependency directly from the public Maven repository, then you
have no ivy.xml at that level to control. If you're not happy with the
inline filtering you're doing (though it sounds like you are happy with
that), you could always put just the Wicket dependency in your enterprise
repository and give that repo precedence over the public Maven repo.