ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Yu, Aaron \(IT\)" <Fan...@MorganStanley.com>
Subject IvyDE cache location
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 05:25:50 GMT
Hi,

I have a problem of using Ivy and IvyDE.
At my firm we are in the process of switching to Ivy for managing our
java dependencies. We do not want thousands of developers to resolve
dependencies in  different  ways so we provide a centralized , read-only
ivy-settings.xml file  which is used by all developers. However, this
presents us with a problem. We would like to  make it possible for our
users to set their own cache locations, because if  they  use the same
cache location for all projects, when  they clean the cache in one
project, the whole cache location will be cleaned, and this  will crash
the building of other projects.

I know we can create a project-specific ivy-settings.xml file, and use
'defaultCacheDir', 'resolutionCacheDir' and 'repositoryCacheDir'
attributes in 'caches' element to set the project-based cache location.
But as I mentioned above, to make all the projects more manageable and
shareable, we do not encourage developers to have the project-specific
ivy setting file.

To get around this we have implemented a new properties page for the
ivyde plugin under the existing one called simply 'Cache'. This allows a
user to choose the cache location. The choices are: Default
($HOME/.ivy2) and Workspace (workspace_dir/.metadata/.ivy2). We then
reset the ivy.home System property and trigger re-resolution of all
project ivy classpath containers when the users changes this setting
(the change affects all projects in the workspace since ivy core reads
the ivy.home System property to find out where it should do its
caching). However, we are now wondering if what is really needed is a
private cache area for each project in the workspace, for example:
workspace_dir/.metadata/.ivy2/project_name. But this is not possible at
the moment due to the way in which ivy core decided where to place its
cache. (And, as we said, we do not want users to have to specify their
own ivy-settings for each project for this reason alone.)

Other people at our firm have also pointed out that it might be better
if ivy core used a version specific cache location by default since
there could be differences in cache metadata between versions. This
would cause cache corruption if different versions of ivy core were run
on the same system.

All this seems to indicate that the subject of caching needs rethinking
in ivy core and ivyde, and we would like to ask for some suggestions on
this.

Thanks!

Aaron Yu
Morgan Stanley | Technology