ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Daffin, Miles \(IDEAS PRACTICE AREAS\)" <Miles.Daf...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RE: Error in org.apache.ivy plugin MANIFEST?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:14:58 GMT
Nicolas,

I did not try renaming the file (which would also necessitate updating references in feature
and plugin metadata). This I am sure would work. Like I said, I understand your reasons for
using the timestamp, you just need to use the timestamp everywhere, consistently: in all file
names; in feature.xml; in plugin.xml; in plugin manifests. As you say, this is what a lot
of people/organizations do. What makes the Apache Ivy feature/plugin unique is that you are
*only* using the timestamp in the plugin manifest. This breaks referential integrity in the
metadata and causes the problems I have described.

For now I am fixing this by removing the timestamp using ant.

Cheers,

Miles Daffin
Morgan Stanley | IDEAS PRACTICE AREAS
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 01
London, E14 4QW
Phone: +44 20 7677-5119
Fax: +44 20 7056-4572
Miles.Daffin@morganstanley.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicolas Lalevée [mailto:nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org]
Sent: 22 January 2009 13:58
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Error in org.apache.ivy plugin MANIFEST?

On jeudi 22 janvier 2009 12:08:54 Daffin, Miles (IDEAS PRACTICE AREAS) wrote:
> Nicolas,
>
> When I install Apache IvyDE and Apache Ivy features into eclipse 3.3
> with the old update manager I see a red X on the Apache Ivy feature in
> the Product Configuration manager dialog (Help > Software Updates >
> Manage
> Configuration) - although the plugins all seem to function OK.
> However, as an experiment I killed my 3.3 install and edited the
> org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.final MANIFEST, removing the timestamp from the
> Bundle-Version. Guess what: the red X disappears from in the
> aforementioned dialog...
>
> The Bundle-Version *must* be being used to identify things. If you add
> a timestamp to it in the MANIFEST.MF/Bundle-Version then Eclipse 3.3
> and 3.4 get confused: the identifier
> 'org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.final_timestamp' is like a null pointer. It is
> not just a matter of conventions. Like I said: this is causing p2 metadata generation
to fail for this feature.

> I understand your reasons for wanting to use a timestamp, I just think
> you are putting it in the wrong place. How about another manifest
> attribute (Created-On?). Either that or you need to use the time
> stamped version everywhere, consistently.

The problem with putting it somewhere else is that then Eclipse won't be able to compare two
different builds of the same targetted version. The problem it make the difference between
a 2.0.0.final being actively developped and the 2.0.0.final officially released. The one released
is clearly defined, only one exist. But the ones build before have to be understand by Eclipse
as older than the officially released one. So here comes the timestamp in the bundle version.
I don't see any other way to accomplish it. And Eclipse plugins are versionned exactly the
same way. For instance in my eclipse install I have:
org.eclipse.core.resources_3.4.1.R34x_v20080902.jar
org.eclipse.core.resources.compatibility_3.4.0.v20080604-1400.jar
org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.4.0.v20080512.jar
org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility_3.2.0.v20071008.jar
org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth_3.2.100.v20070502.jar

So maybe the issue is only about the file name. Did you try to rename the jar instead of removing
the timestamp ?

Nicolas