ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Daffin, Miles \(IDEAS PRACTICE AREAS\)" <Miles.Daf...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RE: Error in org.apache.ivy plugin MANIFEST?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:08:54 GMT
Nicolas,

When I install Apache IvyDE and Apache Ivy features into eclipse 3.3 with the old update manager
I see a red X on the Apache Ivy feature in the Product Configuration manager dialog (Help
> Software Updates > Manage Configuration) - although the plugins all seem to function
OK. However, as an experiment I killed my 3.3 install and edited the org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.final
MANIFEST, removing the timestamp from the Bundle-Version. Guess what: the red X disappears
from in the aforementioned dialog...

The Bundle-Version *must* be being used to identify things. If you add a timestamp to it in
the MANIFEST.MF/Bundle-Version then Eclipse 3.3 and 3.4 get confused: the identifier 'org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.final_timestamp'
is like a null pointer. It is not just a matter of conventions. Like I said: this is causing
p2 metadata generation to fail for this feature.

I understand your reasons for wanting to use a timestamp, I just think you are putting it
in the wrong place. How about another manifest attribute (Created-On?). Either that or you
need to use the time stamped version everywhere, consistently.

Cheers,

Miles Daffin
Morgan Stanley | IDEAS PRACTICE AREAS
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 01
London, E14 4QW
Phone: +44 20 7677-5119
Fax: +44 20 7056-4572
Miles.Daffin@morganstanley.com