ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: Error in org.apache.ivy plugin MANIFEST?
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:57:49 GMT
On jeudi 22 janvier 2009 12:08:54 Daffin, Miles (IDEAS PRACTICE AREAS) wrote:
> Nicolas,
>
> When I install Apache IvyDE and Apache Ivy features into eclipse 3.3 with
> the old update manager I see a red X on the Apache Ivy feature in the
> Product Configuration manager dialog (Help > Software Updates > Manage
> Configuration) - although the plugins all seem to function OK. However, as
> an experiment I killed my 3.3 install and edited the
> org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.final MANIFEST, removing the timestamp from the
> Bundle-Version. Guess what: the red X disappears from in the aforementioned
> dialog...
>
> The Bundle-Version *must* be being used to identify things. If you add a
> timestamp to it in the MANIFEST.MF/Bundle-Version then Eclipse 3.3 and 3.4
> get confused: the identifier 'org.apache.ivy_2.0.0.final_timestamp' is like
> a null pointer. It is not just a matter of conventions. Like I said: this
> is causing p2 metadata generation to fail for this feature.
>
> I understand your reasons for wanting to use a timestamp, I just think you
> are putting it in the wrong place. How about another manifest attribute
> (Created-On?). Either that or you need to use the time stamped version
> everywhere, consistently.

The problem with putting it somewhere else is that then Eclipse won't be able
to compare two different builds of the same targetted version. The problem it
make the difference between a 2.0.0.final being actively developped and the
2.0.0.final officially released. The one released is clearly defined, only one
exist. But the ones build before have to be understand by Eclipse as older
than the officially released one. So here comes the timestamp in the bundle
version. I don't see any other way to accomplish it. And Eclipse plugins are
versionned exactly the same way. For instance in my eclipse install I have:
org.eclipse.core.resources_3.4.1.R34x_v20080902.jar
org.eclipse.core.resources.compatibility_3.4.0.v20080604-1400.jar
org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.4.0.v20080512.jar
org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility_3.2.0.v20071008.jar
org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth_3.2.100.v20070502.jar

So maybe the issue is only about the file name. Did you try to rename the jar
instead of removing the timestamp ?

Nicolas