ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: TeamCity dependency tracking
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:17:21 GMT
I don't think this is possible at the moment with Ivy.
Please open a JIRA feature request

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Tom Widmer <tom.widmer@googlemail.com>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 10:50:09 AM
Subject: TeamCity dependency tracking

Hi all,

I'm using a TeamCity build server as an Ivy repository for our build artifacts, and it works
very well for the job except for tracking dependencies when using a varying build version,
like 'latest.release'. To fix the problem, I need to be able to pass different log in credentials
for the ivy.xml files to the artifacts. I have a resolver for the repo like this:

<url name="teamcity" latest="latest-time">
            <ivy pattern="${teamcity.ivy.repo.root}/[module]::([branch]-)main/[revision]/ivy.xml"
/>
            <artifact pattern="${teamcity.ivy.repo.root}/[module]::([branch]-)main/[revision]/[artifact](.[ext])"
/>
        </url>

I have:

<credentials host="build" realm="TeamCity"
      username="${teamcity.auth.userId}"
      passwd="${teamcity.auth.password}"/>

but obviously those credentials are used for both the ivy.xml files and the artifacts. Is
there any way to specify different credentials for the ivy.xml files?

Background:

TeamCity has a cunning system of tracking dependencies between builds by providing build-specific
TeamCity log in credentials to your ant build script in a couple of properties (though Hudson's
system of fingerprinting is just as cunning, and would avoid the problem I'm having). Anything
downloaded with those credentials during the build gets logged by TeamCity as a dependency
of the build. I use this to have automatic tracking of any dependencies that Ivy downloads
from TeamCity (the TeamCity UI allows you to navigate to dependency builds, prevent them being
cleaned up automatically, etc.).

So, what's the problem? I recently added a nightly regression testing build that always builds
against the latest build, using latest.release. Unfortunately, this causes the build to download
the ivy.xml file from every single build that exists on the server in order to work out which
is the latest. So the regression testing build appears to depend on every single build (though
you can tell the real build by looking for the build where more than 1 artifact is a dependency).

I've made it workable by disabling dependency cleanup prevention for that build (so at least
the regression test doesn't prevent automatic cleanup of old, unused builds), but it would
still be nice to prevent every single ivy.xml file being listed as a dependency! Two possible
fixes:

1. Persuade Ivy to download ivy.xml files only using standard credentials, so those downloads
won't be tracked.
2. Persuade TeamCity to ignore downloads of ivy.xml files using the build tracking credentials.

I can't see a way to do 2, but does anyone know how to do 1?

Perhaps this is a feature request - some way to bind credentials to things other than just
hosts.

Thanks,

Tom