ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From marcdb <mdeb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using ivy.xml files to describe common module information
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:20:04 GMT

Jeffrey Sinclair wrote:

> We have a custom repository at our company and I was looking to provide
> some meta-data at the 'module' level that would describe common
> information across all revisions for that module:
>
>    * /info/@organisation.
>    * /info/@module.
>    * /info/description.
>    * /info/description/@homepage.
>    * some custom tags.
>
> Initially I went down the route of a custom project-descriptor.xml file
> rather than re-using the ivy.xml file at the module level. At the time I
> was concerned that I would be overloading the use of the ivy.xml file by
> using it without a revision and was not sure if Ivy would always support
> parsing such an ivy.xml as a valid file.
>
> Does Ivy consider an Ivy file with just the above information as 'valid'
> and would you always be able to parse such an Ivy file into a
> ModuleDescriptor?
>
> I noticed that there is a JIRA for inheritance between Ivy files:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-742
>
> which has made me re-think using a standard ivy.xml file in favour of
> our custom project-descriptor.xml file to describe information common to
> all revisions of a module.
>
> If I were to provide an ivy.xml file with just the above information,
> would this be compatible with any new feature that comes from IVY-742 or
> is there some other information I will need to add or take into
> consideration?

Jeff,
Have you already looked at the feature to provide extra-arguments in the
<info> section of the ivy.xml file:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/concept.html#extra

Or something else: make a dependency towards a generic module, which
describes your project (org=your_project, module=your_project). The module
descriptor for that project specifies an artifact to be published (e.g. of
type txt or html) where you can specify all the information that you want
to.
<publications>
    <artifact type="txt" />
</publications>
Then create in the appropriate location a file "your_project.txt" or
"your_project.html" that will be published at resolve time in your
repository. All your modules for your project should then include the
your_project module as dependency. If you want to update your project-info,
you simply update that your_project.txt file.

I hope this helps,

Marc