ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Griffith, Michael *" <Michael.Griff...@fda.hhs.gov>
Subject RE: Noob Question, Transitive Dependencies?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 21:23:29 GMT
Mitch,

Again, I appreciate your reply, although I'm still not getting it. ;-(

Would I use:

  <publications>
        <artifact name="hibernate" type="jar" />
    </publications>

Instead of:

<dependency org="hibernate" name="hibernate" rev="3.2.6"/>

What would the whole ivy.xml file look like?  Sorry to be a pest, but
this seems too abstract to me.

MG

-----Original Message-----
From: Mitch Gitman [mailto:mgitman@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 3:17 PM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Noob Question, Transitive Dependencies?

The distinction is that the dependency is on a *module*, say
org="hibernate," name="hibernate," rather than on an actual publication
artifact. Depending on modules provides an abstraction layer so you're
not depending on artifacts directly.

Now, it's only with configurations where you get into the cool ways of
picking and choosing which artifacts you want to publish when, and which
parts of a module you want to depend on when. Admittedly, it takes a
while for all this to sink in, but once it does, it makes perfect sense.