ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jeffrey Sinclair <j...@cooljeff.co.uk>
Subject Using ivy.xml files to describe common module information
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:59:29 GMT
ivy-users,

We have a custom repository at our company and I was looking to provide
some meta-data at the 'module' level that would describe common
information across all revisions for that module:

   * /info/@organisation.
   * /info/@module.
   * /info/description.
   * /info/description/@homepage.
   * some custom tags.

Initially I went down the route of a custom project-descriptor.xml file
rather than re-using the ivy.xml file at the module level. At the time I
was concerned that I would be overloading the use of the ivy.xml file by
using it without a revision and was not sure if Ivy would always support
parsing such an ivy.xml as a valid file.

Does Ivy consider an Ivy file with just the above information as 'valid'
and would you always be able to parse such an Ivy file into a
ModuleDescriptor?

I noticed that there is a JIRA for inheritance between Ivy files:

which has made me re-think using a standard ivy.xml file in favour of
our custom project-descriptor.xml file to describe information common to
all revisions of a module.

If I were to provide an ivy.xml file with just the above information,
would this be compatible with any new feature that comes from IVY-742 or
is there some other information I will need to add or take into
consideration?

Regards,

Jeff