ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Speeding up ivy:resolve
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:55:29 GMT
If you are talking about caching the result of "InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName()",
I have good news for you because this has been implemented since 2.0-RC1 if I remember correctly.
If you did discover other places where Ivy can cache hostnames, please open an improvement
request at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:12:34 PM
Subject: Re: Speeding up ivy:resolve

Hi Ben,

I'd be interested, for sure. We have about 190 modules in our project now
and resolve is a large part of our build time. I've been meaning to look
more closely at it for ages now, but I'm totally swamped.

One thing I did see when I profiled our build a while back was that
somewhere in the depths there (I can't remember the exact spot, sorry) Ivy
calls getHostName() and doesn't cache the return value. This ends up being
called a lot of times (I don't remember the exact number but IIRC in the
thousands) due to recursive resolves, and would be a two-line fix. I suspect
this is the cause of a wide variation in our build times across different
machines that we're seeing (particularly that builds take much longer in our
integration server).

If I get a moment I'll profile our build again (easy because it's written in
Java) and post any relevant info here.

Cheers,
Colin