ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Common practices for lifecycle and promotion in Ivy
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 07:37:12 GMT
Actually, it is not binaries that we promote.  It is source code that
are promoted.  The promotion is actually clean rebuild with an
"official" stamp.

We have a continuous build that use an integration repository only,
and we have a release repository that contains modules that are
rebuild using only the release repositroy.
The developpers that work on a project use the integration repository
for the module of their project, and use the release repsitory for the
"generic" modules developed outside the project.

So the name scheme is not really important (we never have to compare
release & integration version numbers).

The drawback is that when the project want to use a newer version of
the "generic" module, the generic module has to go for a release
before it can be used by the project.  As in our case, that dosen't
apear to be an issue (doesn't happen very often), we are ok with that.
 Otherwise, I guess the developpers would have to play with the
settings of its project in order to say that the "generic module not
yet release" is currently part of the project (a small change to the
ivy settings of the project would do it).

--
Gilles Scokart