ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Brown, Carlton" <Carlton.Br...@compucredit.com>
Subject RE: multiple project setup
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:45:50 GMT
Jars shouldn't 'live in' a project.  This is one of the antipatterns
that Ivy is supposed to solve, decoupling dependencies from their
projects.

I think there's a good chance you'll find the disk space is really
trivial.  But if it turns out to be a real problem, you could use
<cachepath> and reference the jars directly from the shared ivy cache on
that machine.

There used to be an attribute of <cachepath> called useOrigin but
strangely it seems to have dropped out of the documentation as of beta2.
This would be the attribute to use if you wanted to minimize ivy cache
space at the expense of network bandwidth (or at no expense, if your
central repository is a local filesystem).

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg George [mailto:ggeorge@attivio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:48 PM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: multiple project setup

Hi,

I'm looking into whether Ivy might be a good fit for our build system.
We have a multi-project setup similar to the Ivy example named
"multi-project", but I'm not a huge fan of the fact that cross-project
dependencies are handled by copying the jars to each needed project.
With a large number of projects and jars, this can end up taking a lot
of extra disk space.    Since all projects live relative to each other
on the same file system, why can't the jars be referenced from the
directory of the project they live in?  Is there some existing setting
that can make Ivy do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
-Greg