ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using ivy to resolve in-build tools
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:18:41 GMT
Ivy itself uses tools like emma and checkstyle in it's own build.xml.
We don't add them into our ivy.xml file, but we use them directly in our build.xml like this:

        <ivy:cachepath organisation="checkstyle" module="checkstyle" revision="4.3"
                inline="true" conf="default" pathid="checkstyle.classpath" transitive="true"

                log="download-only"/>
        <taskdef resource="checkstyletask.properties" classpathref="checkstyle.classpath"
/>
        <checkstyle ... />

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-user@nmhq.net>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2008 8:27:40 PM
Subject: Re: Using ivy to resolve in-build tools

:
:
> It seems that what we need is an ivy.xml just for these tools that is separate
> from the ivy.xml of the project that is being compiled.  Any help here?

The usual solution is to use different configurations. See here:

    http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/terminology.html#configurations
    http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/concept.html
    http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/tutorial/conf.html
    http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/ivyfile/configurations.html

In addition, you might want to turn the shared build-tools.xml into a
module of its own, so that its tool jar dependencies can be maintained
in one place, as dependencies of this new "build-tools" module. Then
the individual project modules can simply depend on the build-tools
module in their private "build" configuratione. If not all projects
use all tools, again you can use configurations, this time on the
build-tools module, to define different tool sets.

-- Niklas Matthies