ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Mitch Gitman" <mgit...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New to Ivy question
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 03:33:41 GMT
When it comes to third-party dependencies, I hate to be reinventing the
wheel, or at least reinventing the wheel from scratch. So I would look to do
either of two things:
* Depend on a public repository directly for those dependencies.
* Create an enterprise repository whose third-party dependencies emulate
those of a public repository. You're not depending on the public repository;
you're just using it as a model for your own local repository.

As for the second option, you could do that manually just by using the
public repository's dependency graphs as a template. Or you could do that in
an automated fashion with a repository copy using the ivy:install Ant task.
See:
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/tutorial/build-repository/basic.html

To the best of my knowledge, the public repository that typically gets
copied to bootstrap a local repository is the Ibiblio Maven repository. The
downside of that repository is you're limiting yourself to the limited way
Maven expresses dependencies. So from the get-go, you're losing one of the
key advantages of Ivy.

One public Ivy repository I find intriguing is Ivy RoundUp:
http://code.google.com/p/ivyroundup/

What I like is that its dependency configurations really take advantage of
the power of Ivy. Why? Because it's actually an Ivy repository and not a
Maven repository, and its ivy.xml files for frameworks like Spring and
Hibernate really take leverage Ivy's expressiveness together with a real
knowledge of those frameworks. What I don't like is that it makes some
presumptions about how you should use it. Namely, you should always depend
on it directly. Even if you don't want to use Ivy RoundUp directly, you
could gain some value using its Spring and Hibernate ivy.xml files as
templates for your own.