ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Garry Smith <g.m.sm...@reading.ac.uk>
Subject Re: newbie: Instructions on hosting enterprise repository
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 08:58:20 GMT
Hi Adrian,

Adrian Woodhead wrote:
> Garry Smith wrote:
>>
>> I want to set up an enterprise repository that the developers on my
>> project can submit to using the publish ivy task, from their
>> development machines.
>>
>> The 'repository machine' has apache 2 and also Subversion (behind
>> apache 2)
>>
>> The instructions at
>> http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/tutorial/build-repository.html

>> concentrate on creating the repository locally but not about access.
>>
>> I was thinking to host the ivy repo via SVN. Is this sensible? Any
>> gotchas?
>>

> This initial overhead was well worth the productivity gains we see now
> with most libraries already there. What definitely helped was having a
> well-communicated, logical, standard layout of
> organisation/module/version that is enforced across all artifacts
> added to the repository.

That is good to hear.  We currently have jars in our SVN that are
organised in the same way you mention (by organisation/module/version).
To move to the Ivy way of resolving dependencies it sounds like we just
have to include the appropriate ivy metatdata for each existing jar.   I
will have a play with the 'creating a repository' tutorial to get an
idea of the ivy configuration files that will be needed in the SVN.

> We also have many projects which publish various artifacts (jar, war,
> tgz etc.) to the same Subversion repository and these then get used by
> other systems (which retrieve the artifacts either using Ivy or "svn
> export" commands).

Great! This would fit my project's needs. Some of our developer's don't
want to build the components written by other developers in our team.
They would rather each developer  uploads  a binary version of their
component(s) to a repository, which all other developer's then retrieve
as part of their build. Hence my arrival at the Ivy website the other
day.  I also want our automated builds to build all project components
from source daily (not that I don't trust the developers, but... :-) )

> <shameless plug>
> If you are thinking of using Subversion to store your Ivy repository,
> we use IvySvn:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/ivysvn/

Thanks. This is something that I will definitely be looking at.

> (we wrote most of it ;) ) There are some known issues relating to web
> dav and repository roots with nested folders so give it a go before
> committing to anything (and please report any issues you experience to
> the IvySvn project so we can look at them).

Thank you I will.

On a side note, if we decided not to use SVN to host the Ivy repository,
but still wanted developers to check in modules from their development
machines, what would be the recommended setup? Are people using Apache2
and Webdav to do this natively from Ivy? Is there another recommended
way that works natively from Ivy?

Thanks and regards

Garry