ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Illegal XML in Maven POM's
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:01:54 GMT
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

> Xavier Hanin wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Maarten Coene <maarten_coene@yahoo.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  Please open a new Ivy JIRA issue.
>>>

>> I don't think we should open an issue for that. Well, maybe we can open an
>> issue for consistency, but mark it as invalid. Indeed I don't think
>> accepting something which is not valid XML makes any sense, it's just too
>> much work. And maven guys themselves agree that their poms should be valid
>> xml, there's already been a discussion on the repository@apache.org list
>> about that. So I don't see much we can do except loby maven guys to make
>> sure they publish only valid xml poms.
>>
>> Xavier
>>

> The problem is that the poms are broken, and out in the field. They should
> be banned from creating any more new poms that are invalid XML, but those
> that are in the repository are broken, and not going to change.

I think these poms can be fixed and updated in central repo. But I agree
such poms exist, and will continue to exist until maven reject invalid XML,
which is not about to happen.

> Because M2 handles the (defective) content, their view is it our problem,
> not theirs.

You're right. So I change my opinion, the issue shouldn't be marked as
invalid. And since Maarten seems to already have something to implement
this, I'd be happy if Ivy can accept such invalid XML poms and as such be
even more m2 compatible.

Xavier

BordeauxJUG co leader - http://www.bordeauxjug.org/
Blogger - http://xhab.blogspot.com/