ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Maarten Coene <maarten_co...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ivy 2 resolve time over a WAN
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 13:30:51 GMT
Do you have the same problem if you use commons-httpclient?
(just add commons-httpclient-3.x to your ANT_HOME/lib folder so Ivy can find it)

Maarten

----- Original Message ----
From: "paul.newport@targetgroup.net" <paul.newport@targetgroup.net>
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Sent: Friday, September 5, 2008 2:33:48 PM
Subject: Re: Ivy 2 resolve time over a WAN

OK, it seems to be caused by some sort of DNS problem I guess, as if you
read here:

http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/1551421

it says:

"So far, I have covered the most common situations where HttpURLConnection
works properly. However, I have encountered a few networks where
HttpURLConnection is not usable.

It appears that the problem is linked to a faulty configuration of the DNS
server. For some reason, HttpURLConnection always attempts to resolve the
host name against the DNS server. Normally, it fails gracefully and the
connection goes is rerouted through the proxy server. A few DNS servers
return an inappropriate answer that results in a UnknownHostException.

There's an interesting theoretical debate as to whether the DNS server
behaviour is acceptable. Although I am no expert on the topic, it would
appear it is not. However, as a developer, you seldom have the option to
reconfigure the DNS server, so you have to find a workaround."

Target
www.targetgroup.net

Target is a trading name of Target Group Limited,
registered in England and Wales No. 1208137
Registered office:  Target House, Cowbridge Road East, Cardiff CF11 9AU

DISCLAIMER.
If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or take any action or reliance upon it.
The content of this message may also contain personal
views of an employee of this company and does
not necessarily represent the view of the company.
This message has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus.
It has also been scanned by MAILsweeper to enforce our e-mail
policy. If you have any concerns or comments about the content
of this message, please  e-mail support@targetgroup.net.

http://www.messagelabs.com