ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Illegal XML in Maven POM's
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:30:16 GMT
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Maarten Coene <maarten_coene@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Please open a new Ivy JIRA issue.
>
> I don't think we should open an issue for that. Well, maybe we can open an
> issue for consistency, but mark it as invalid. Indeed I don't think
> accepting something which is not valid XML makes any sense, it's just too
> much work. And maven guys themselves agree that their poms should be valid
> xml, there's already been a discussion on the repository@apache.org list
> about that. So I don't see much we can do except loby maven guys to make
> sure they publish only valid xml poms.
>
> Xavier

The problem is that the poms are broken, and out in the field. They
should be banned from creating any more new poms that are invalid XML,
but those that are in the repository are broken, and not going to
change. Because M2 handles the (defective) content, their view is it our
problem, not theirs.

-steve