ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ivy 2 resolve time over a WAN
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:36:18 GMT
paul.newport@targetgroup.net wrote:

> "You can track down Ivy http communications by using commons-httpclient"
>
> How do I do this ? I'm fine with setting up commons logging, but my little
> test case that does an install doesn't even have commons-httpclient on the
> classpath.

Presumably there is a way to turn on extra logging on in httpclient, by
using the right commons-logging settings. So when ivy uses httpclient
for its work, the log shows where it is going. I don't know the specific
log settings though.

> "There were some issues with ivy not liking networks where the host didnt
> know its own name, that made things crawl, but should be fixed now."
>
> What would I need to do to allow the host to know its own name ?

that's the thing. Normally a host does that automatically, but for some
reason my home box is broken. If I knew what I'd done, I'd be able to
fix it, but instead I get to file bugreps against Ivy, Hadoop,
SmartFrog, etc. then the patches, as nobody else usually sees it.

If you get a hung system, do a stack trace and see if it is hung in any
InetAddress.getLocalHost()  or InetAddress.getHostName() call, or any
other InetAddress operation, as they seem to be signs of DNS problems

-steve