ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Woodhead <>
Subject Re: Migration to IVY
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:00:21 GMT
If you would like to keep the 3rd party dependencies in Subversion and
not have to set up a separate http repository you could also use the
Subversion resolver for Ivy:

You will still need to spend time setting up the repository structure in
Subversion, committing all the files with the right revision etc. This
is a bit of work at first but well worth it once you reach some sort of
"critical mass" after which you will only occasionally need to add new
versions of things.

Mathew Joseph wrote:
> Hello there,
>    The 3rd party dependencies that our project depends on are stored in
> subversion and are retrieved as part of an svn checkout along with the
> source code. Dependency management is non existent. We are about to
> migrate to an IVY based system and I wanted to know what is the
> experience of people who might have attempted something similar.
> Steps I will need to take.
> 1. Identify exact version number of the dependencies and transitive
> dependencies that we are using
> 2. Move them into a maven or custom repository format hosted either in
> subversion or plain file system served by http.
> I believe the idea is to ensure that I only resolve the first level
> dependency in my scripts and all transitive dependencies are pulled in
> by IVY. However, this means my custom repository needs to have either
> via pom.xml or ivy.xml defined for all first level dependencies.
> I was wondering that it will be very time consuming for me to recreate
> the artifact repository from scratch. Do you guys think it makes sense
> to create a ivy.xml with version numbers and have ivy resolve them from
> a public repository. Once I do a retrieve, I then use the local cache as
> the first version of my custom repository and then start adding in all
> the dependencies that I did not find in public repos. This will ensure
> the repository has ivy.xml for all dependencies.
> Then close out ivysettings.xml to use only the internal http resolver as
> opposed to looking out in public repos.
> I am more inclined to use a maven repository style as opposed to a
> custom one since I can then use maven repository managers to handle
> proxying and mirroring other public repos.
> My thoughts are a bit random on this, but I hope you get the general
> picture..
> regards,
> Mathew Joseph
> Build & Release Engineer