ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Will Johnson <w...@attivio.com>
Subject build dependant projects
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 15:48:00 GMT
I'm new to ivy and feel like I'm missing something fundamental.  We have a complex any build
system that we're trying to move to ivy for dependencies and so far things look good for 3rd
party dependencies for common open source libraries however I'm not quite sure how to set
up Ivy to automatically build dependant projects when necessary.  Right now we have the following
setup in our builds:  (this is really simplified but you get the idea)

Core (main API level project)
ProjectA (depends on core)
ProjectB (depends on core)
ProjectC (depends on core + Project A)

The way we have ant setup currently I can go into the ProjectC directory and type 'ant kit'
and it will build Core + Project A if files changed in either of those projects since they
were last built.  I see how Ivy can manage the dependencies but all the howto's and samples
imply that users have to go to the Core and ProjectA directories and publish things first
before those artifacts can be picked up.  I know I could add

<ant antfile="../Core/build.xml" target="publish" >
<ant antfile="../ProjectA/build.xml" target="publish">

to the ProjectC build file but it would seem like Ivy has some better way to do this that
is eluding me.  All I care about is that local developers get changes to Core / ProjectA picked
up and built when ever those files are updated via source control without having to manually
go into each directory and publishing them.

Thanks for any help.

-          will