ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Russel Winder <>
Subject Re: Generic build system?
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2008 14:35:15 GMT
On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 12:44 +0200, Jean-Louis Boudart wrote:
> Using a script language like groovy for build system sounds interesting.
> Doing complexe things will be easier, using a groovy than doing it in
> Ant-XML.

Very much so.  The two systems we have at the moment are Gant and
Gradle.  Gant is just a "script Ant tasks with Groovy" system whereas
Gradle is a fully-fledged convention-over-configuration build system.

> What i doesn't like in gradle is the "new syntax" for dependencies
> declaration, 'cause you can't use all the stuff behind ivy (like the
> eclipse plugin IvyDe) or you must configure application tu use  ivy.xml
> generated by  gradle. :/

I'll leave this one to Hans.  I am sure though that there must be a
solution.  Whatever Ant and Maven can do, Gant and Gradle can almost
certainly do more easily since they are using Groovy instead of XML.

> What about integration with continuous integration?

Hudson has seen the light and can launch Gant directly.  Buildbot can
launch with any system, so working with Gant and Gradle is trivial.
Other systems such as Bamboo and CruiseControl are moderately less
up-to-date and so only offer Ant and Maven.  Gant offers an Ant task to
allow these systems to use Ant to launch a Gant build.  I would guess
that the Gradle wrapper would allow Gradle builds to be started from
systems that do not know about Gradle.
> I think that easyant seems to be more closed to what i'm looking for, even
> if it's only a "POC"  version.

I'll have to pass on that, I have not tried it.

> Being more explicits about what i like in  easyant :
>     It seems to be really easy to override or extends existing targets and
> path.
>     There is different kind of "build module". build-plugins are separated
> of phases (inspired by the same concept in maven).
>     On basic project you only need an ivy.xml file on your project.
> I'll try to merge my own build-system with easy ant i'll give you a
> feedback in few days.
> Cheers
> Jean-Louis

Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077

View raw message