ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From JHu...@rbauction.com
Subject Re: what's the difference between ivysettings and ivyconf
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 19:07:18 GMT
Thanks, Jim.

I think I may not make my question very clear.
Give two examples here:

Number one extracted from book <<Ant in action>>

<ivyconf>
   <property name="ibiblio-maven2-root"
value="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2/" override="false"/>
  <property name="maven2.pattern"
value="[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[module]-[revision]" />
  <property name="maven2.pattern.ext" value="${maven2.pattern}.[ext]" />
  <include url="${ivy.default.conf.dir}/ivyconf-local.xml"/>
  <conf defaultResolver="default"/>
  <resolvers>
  <filesystem name="team" ivys="true" artifacts="true" m2compatible="true"

    <artifact pattern=
"${ivy.conf.dir}/repository/${maven2.pattern.ext}"/>
    <ivy pattern= "${ivy.conf.dir}/repository/${maven2.pattern}.xml"/>
  </filesystem>
  <ibiblio name="maven2" root="${ibiblio-maven2-root}"
pattern="${maven2.pattern.ext}" m2compatible="true" />
  <chain name="default" dual="true">
     <resolver ref="local"/>
     <resolver ref="team"/>
     <resolver ref="maven2"/>
  </chain>
  </resolvers>
</ivyconf>

Number two from example of Ivy

<ivysettings>
  <settings defaultResolver="chain-example"/>
  <resolvers>
    <chain name="chain-example">
      <filesystem name="libraries">
        <artifact
pattern="${ivy.settings.dir}/repository/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]" />
      </filesystem>
      <ibiblio name="ibiblio" m2compatible="true" />
    </chain>
  </resolvers>
</ivysettings>

Both examples define a chain and I would like to say both can work
properly.
So what's the difference.

Thanks.

Jim/Jim Huang

Jim White <jim@pagesmiths.com>
06/12/2008 11:46 AM
Please respond to
ivy-user@ant.apache.org

ivy-user@ant.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: what's the difference between ivysettings and ivyconf

Others can no doubt explain this better, but I'll make a stab.

An Ivy Settings file defines such things as repository and module name
resolution schemes and is used by the Ivy Configure Ant task.

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/configuration.html
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/configure.html

An Ivy Configuration is a name (actually a kind of pattern) for choosing
a particular set of depedencies (like "compile", "test", "default").

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/configure.html

It is very unfortunate though that the Ivy Settings file is principal
parameter for the ivy:configure task, which no doubt makes this more
prone to confusion than desireable.

Also the Ivy Settings file format is described by a page with
"configuration" in the URL, which goes along with the idea that it used
by the Configure task but not the configure attribute of the Resolve task.

Whereas an Ivy Configuration in an Ivy File is described here:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/configurations.html

So the configure attribute of the Ivy Resolve Ant task is actually
talking about a "configuration" in the Ivy File sense, not Ivy Configure
Ant task sense.

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/resolve.html

Jim