ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: dynamically modifying dependency versions during resolve
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 13:42:47 GMT
Exactly.  I agree with everything you said.

I am using a post beta1 feature called resolveMode="dynamic".  However, currently for it to
work smoothly, you have to turn on defaultResolveMode="dynamic" which essentially makes all
modules get resolved with the latest rule regardless of any specific revision numbers a normal
resolve would find.  With this, a chained resolver with a local filesystem resolver first
in the chain with returnFirst="true" works nicely.  This works but isn't ideal because defaultResolveMode="dynamic"
affects all modules.  Ideally, I only want the modules that have a locally published module
to be dynamic, but all others to perform a normal "default" resolve.  That would require me
to, at ANT buildtime, discover what modules existed in the locally published repo and somehow
turn on only those modules to be resolveMode="dynamic".

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernest Pasour [mailto:Ernest.Pasour@sas.com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 8:02 AM
To: ivy-user@ant.apache.org
Subject: RE: dynamically modifying dependency versions during resolve

I think part of the disconnect here is that I (I can't speak for Shawn) am approaching this
from a "good enough" standpoint.  I am only concerned about enabling local builds/runs that
developers can do; I do not want to affect the official (nightly) company builds, which have
to be correct.  So developers->good enough, nightly builds->correct.

There are two large classes of code changes that "good enough" can easily support.
1. behavioral changes (no api changes)
2. api additions

It is up to developers to know when there is a breaking api change that will force them to
build the entire affected cloud of modules.  It is common for developers to use even incompatible
modules for testing due to their knowledge of the actual runtime paths needed.  The build-time
incompatibilities don't matter as long as the developer can get the jars with changed API.
 The alternative at our site is unpalatable: Dev1 builds a new jar and asks Dev2 to try it
out, but doing so requires republishing 200 jars.  Most developers will push and pray.

What I want:
1. A way to tweak the resolver settings or provide a new resolver (I have some flexibility
here to tweak the settings file) so that versions of modules in the dev area always get used.
 Note that this does not imply "latest".  In my environment, it is entirely possible for the
version of my locally-built module to be "latest in the system", but lose that title when
the nightly build runs subsequently.  So I really want an "override" to the Ivy resolve.
2. I don't want to modify the ivy.xml file, due to the risk of these development-time changes
getting pushed.
        2a. I want to support collaborations between multiple developers in a test repository.
 There would have to be lots of modifications to the ivy.xml files in this case.

I am stuck on Ivy2.0Beta1 for the foreseeable future.

As I mentioned in my original post, I have partially gotten this to work by creating my own
resolver, but I haven't figured out where to insert code to change the version number sought.
 So, the code comes in looking for C1, and I modify the ModuledRevisionId on the stack to
point to C2.  It appears that the code then correctly finds my locally-built module.  However,
the directory that gets created has the revision corresponding to C1.  So I think I am inserting
myself into the resolve process too late.

Any hints on what kind of hook (resolver, conflict manager, etc.) I can use to dynamically
tweak explicit published revisions?

Thanks,
Ernest