ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Ivy Status usage question
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:19:16 GMT
I had this same question when I first started with IVY and I don't know what the best practice
is.  By the way, is there a best practices document anywhere?  With such a powerful and flexible
tool such as IVY, a best practices document is pretty important.  I am doing some very complicated
things and I can't help but wonder if I am making it harder on myself because I am using IVY
incorrectly or inefficiently.

Anyway, I use to configure my filesystem resolver with the status as part of the directory
hierarchy.  I have since removed that since IVY can handle searching through all of the different
revision ivy.xml files to find the correct ones based on status.  So I have one directory
with a bunch of different builds of the same module.  Each build is its own directory with
the ivy.xml file inside.  Some may be set as development status, some as testing status, and
some as release status (I made my own statuses instead of the IVY default).  Then if I request
latest.testing, IVY is smart enough to skip any development status builds.  If I request latest.release,
IVY is smart enough to skip any development and testing status builds.

---
Shawn Castrianni
CM Chief Architect
Landmark
Halliburton Drilling, Evaluation and Digital Solutions Building 2
2101 City West Blvd.
Houston, TX  77042
Work:  713-839-3086
Cell:  832-654-0888