ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Resolve times for IVY 2 beta
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:39:03 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM, <paul.newport@targetgroup.net> wrote:

> One of the most noticeable things about switching from IVY 1 to IVY 2 is
> that the resolve times go through the roof. Using an ivyConf.xml that has
> been converted to an ivySettings file (i.e. the same configuration for IVY
> 1 and IVY 2), IVY 1 resolves take a a few seconds, IVY 2 resolves can take
> up to an hour. We have installed a team repository to mitigate the
> problems, but installing bundles into this is currently really, really slow
> in IVY 2.
>
> There was a thread from October entitled "Extremely Slow to Resolve" so it
> seems others have had this problem too.
>
> Anyone any ideas ?

If the only difference is Ivy 1 vs Ivy 2, it's really a problem, I see no
reason why things can be so slow. One good thing with Ivy 2 is that you can
monitor its performance using triggers. For instance, try adding this to
your settings:

<triggers>
    <log file="ivy.log"
          message='resolved "${organisation}#${module};${revision}"
(${duration}ms)'
          event="post-download-artifact" />
</triggers>

Then run a build and check the ivy.log file. It might help understanding
what goes wrong. Another hint is to use the debug mode, and see if Ivy halts
at some particular cases. There's also one thing which may cause the problem
which Maarten fixed recently: improper usage of localhost name lookup. So
try out the trunk version to see if it works better, and keep us informed.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/