ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jim White <...@pagesmiths.com>
Subject Re: what's the difference between ivysettings and ivyconf
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 18:46:28 GMT
Others can no doubt explain this better, but I'll make a stab.

An Ivy Settings file defines such things as repository and module name
resolution schemes and is used by the Ivy Configure Ant task.

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/configuration.html
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/configure.html

An Ivy Configuration is a name (actually a kind of pattern) for choosing
a particular set of depedencies (like "compile", "test", "default").

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/configure.html

It is very unfortunate though that the Ivy Settings file is principal
parameter for the ivy:configure task, which no doubt makes this more
prone to confusion than desireable.

Also the Ivy Settings file format is described by a page with
"configuration" in the URL, which goes along with the idea that it used
by the Configure task but not the configure attribute of the Resolve task.

Whereas an Ivy Configuration in an Ivy File is described here:

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/ivyfile/configurations.html

So the configure attribute of the Ivy Resolve Ant task is actually
talking about a "configuration" in the Ivy File sense, not Ivy Configure
Ant task sense.

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/use/resolve.html

Jim