ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: dynamically modifying dependency versions during resolve
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:06:25 GMT
On Thu 2008-06-26 at 17:16h, Shawn Castrianni wrote on ivy-user:
> Yes, but imagine a huge corporate environment with stupid
> developers.  Imagine A->B->C->D->E->F->G->H.  If a developer changes
> H and wants to test against A,

So he wants to test A against different(!) dependencies than those
currently declared by A. I don't know, but I think it's a matter of
course that this intent then needs to be expressed explicitly
somewhere.

> I don't want him to have to build and locally publish B through G.
> Plus, I don't want to have to teach my developers xml and ivy and
> how to hack their ivy.xml to make H a direct dependency of A.

But for the use case at hand, it effectively _is_ a direct dependency
of the version of A the developer wants to build. So I don't exactly
see what's wrong about specifying it in the ivy file.

It seems to me that the real issue is separating local build
configurations from the "official" build configurations published to
source revision control and to the public ivy repository.

-- Niklas Matthies