ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: dynamically modifying dependency versions during resolve
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 22:09:28 GMT
On Thu 2008-06-26 at 16:44h, Shawn Castrianni wrote on ivy-user:
:
> I guess to answer your question as to why is what I said before.  To
> allow a developer to test his source code changes in one module
> against his source code changes in another module all locally
> without having to checkin anything to the source code repository and
> wait for an official build.

Yes, I remember. Your use case was that there are dependencies A->B->C
and the developer locally publishes an update to C, and then wants to
test it with his version of A, but resolving for A doesn't pick up the
newer revision of C because the publically published version of B
depends on the older (publically published) version of C.

Personally I think it's fine in that case to either temporarily add a
dependency A->C or locally publish a version of B with an updated
dependency B->C. The normal case for me is that the changes in A
depend on the changes in C, and hence one of these dependency updates
will become necessary anyway.

(Yeah, "publically published" sounds stupid.)

-- Niklas Matthies