ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-u...@nmhq.net>
Subject Re: Plea for a forum
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:17:58 GMT
On Tue 2008-06-24 at 08:59h, paul.newport@targetgroup.net wrote on ivy-user:
:
> Doesn't it make more sense to have one nicely searchable forum than

It would make sense if web applications would have the responsiveness
and useability of fat client desktop apps (as an analogy, would you
like to put up with having to use a web-based IDE running in a browser
rather than your normal desktop IDE?) and if the searching/sorting/
filtering functionality would be as powerful as provided by desktop
e-mail client software. The other thing is that a web forum forces the
same user interface on everyone. With e-mail on the other hand you
have many choices (including even the choice to write your own client).

> That cache incidentally being not portable between work and home
> accounts.

It is possible to properly synchronize over a remote account.

But really, I think this discussion has come to a dead point. The
basic arguments have been exchanged, no side will completely change
their mind anyway, and in the end the decision is up to Xavier.

There once was an Ivy forum by the way (http://www.jaya.free.fr/forum.html),
which was a hassle to search and browse and post to and keep track of.
I can't tell you how glad I was when it was finally replaced by this
mailing list. :)

-- Niklas Matthies