ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <>
Subject Re: Plea for a forum
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:04:25 GMT
On Mon 2008-06-23 at 07:50h, Patrick Aikens wrote on ivy-user:
> I have GMail, and it's certainly not a replacement for a decent
> forum - even with it's unlimited space, it's just silly to think
> that ALL the Ivy users with GMail or an IMAP account should store
> their own local cache of messages so they can search them later.

Personally, I highly value a "local cache" for offline searching and
for not losing the archive when the forum moves or shuts down.

> I clean out all mailing list traffic on a regular basis - I don't
> have any Ivy mailing list posts more than a week old.  I don't want
> it cluttering up hits in my personal mail when I search it, and I
> certainly don't want to have to include search modifiers EVERY time
> I search my mail to omit all the mailing lists.

The usual way to handle this is to use saved searches/virtual folders
and/or to have mailing list messages auto-saved to dedicated folders
(and other mails too to their respective folders).

Really, once you've got accustomed to a powerful e-mail client, you
may realize how much better that is than any forum UI in existence and
than having to use a dozen forums on a dozen different sites. People
who prefer mailing lists over forums usually don't do so because they
are old-fashioned but because they find forum UIs to constitute a
serious degradation of their user experience compared to their e-mail

-- Niklas Matthies

View raw message