ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Kilian <k...@outback.escape.de>
Subject Re: Plea for a forum
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:09:29 GMT
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 10:31:58AM +0100, Paul Newport wrote:
> I've started looking at IVY recently and have had to subscribe at work
> with my work email address, and at home with my home one, which is
> somewhat frustrating.

Get a mail account with web access, or some IMAP account. Or use
one of the fine mailing list archives for reading and searching.

> Mailing lists may have been OK years ago, but I seriously believe you
> are shooting yourselves in the foot by having a mailing list instead
> of forum. Look at the forum used by the Spring Project, or the JBoss
> crew, highly active, loads of users and traffic, easy to search, can
> log in whether at home or at work.

Web forums are just inefficient and dictate the way you're using them.

> Also some people's work IT managers like to monitor email traffic
> (don't you love 'em) and frown upon constant emails coming in from a
> mailing list.

Those people shouldn't be called IT managers. Blocking their own
developers, build managers, etc. from accessing valuable technical
resources on the net (be it email, be it the web) is so incredibly
stupid. A company with such a management *deserves* to have no
success at all.

Ciao,
	Kili