ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Kilian <k...@outback.escape.de>
Subject Re: Using Ivy with Telelogic Synergy
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 18:51:02 GMT
On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 05:44:35PM +0100, Dave wrote:
> As you say it's an opinion, but it does seem to be the case that most
> open-source projects store their dependencies in version control (browse the
> svn repository of any major open-source project and you'll see a lot of
> jars, not just java source).

Yes, most part of the Java world does it, and bloatware like
openoffice do it, yet it's a real disease. And it's becoming a royal
PITA if you discover that for some included dependencies no matching
sources are (no longer) available, or if the included dependencies
have been built from *patched* sources (and the patch is missing).

> dependencies in SVN. So while you are absolutely correct in saying it's an
> opinion, it seems to be an opinion a lot of people agree with including many
> experts.

Show me one expert's argument for this. I don't think there' any
arguments beyond "i'm lazy", "other people do it the same way", "we
don't have a dependency management tool".

> Still though, point taken. Now back to the question at hand....do you have
> any tips for Synergy + Ivy integration ? :-)

Well, I'd do the same as I'm doing currently with CVS: keep an
ivy.xml in the project, check in the code changes of a *delivered*
ivy.xml for each release, and put back an undelivered (i.e. with
revision wildcards in the dependencies) for further development.
This is done with a set of ant tasks.

The concrete method for Synergy/CM would be different and of course
heavily depends on the development model you're using, but I'm sure
it's possible.

Ciao,
	Kili