ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Niklas Matthies <>
Subject Re: tag missing from ivy.xml
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:32:00 GMT
On Tue 2008-06-03 at 12:10h, Shawn Castrianni wrote on ivy-user:
> The ivy.xml contains metadata about an ivy module like name,
> organization, branch, publications, and dependencies.  The branch is
> nice to record so we know what branch of source code was used to
> build a given module.  However, what if the module was built from a
> tag.  Shouldn't we have tag as an attribute of an ivy module?
> Currently I have been overloading the branch attribute to store tag
> names as well as branch names, but it seems messy.  Just curious
> what others thought.

Some thoughts:
Pro: In CVS, branches are just a special kind of tag (sharing the same
namespace too), so using the branch attribute for tags is probably
just fine.
Con: A tag is usually a symbolic name for a revision, so either the
tag should be used as the revision attribute, or else it is redundant
with the revision attribute.

-- Niklas Matthies

View raw message