ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jim Adams <Jim.Ad...@sas.com>
Subject RE: dynamically modifying dependency versions during resolve
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:59:36 GMT
In a system where that are many jars and many tendrils it becomes very difficult to work on
a small number of those jars. If I have 2 jars that I am working on but the chain between
them has more than one link then I am obliged to build and publish all the links in between
in order to see my changes. Solving Ernest's and Shawn's problem would solve this as well.
I realize that this is not "correct" but it is a valid use case for local development. When
you release you have to use the full transitive closure.

I would like to be able to
> setup a local repository that developers can locally publish to that takes precedence
over any published module
> in the real repository.  That way a developer that is working on multiple modules at
one time, can build the
> first one and publish it locally as version "LOCAL" or something.  Then he can switch
to a higher level module
> and when resolving, it will pick up the locally published module first instead of the
one on the repository that
> is specified in the transitive ivy.xml files.  This allows developers to test source
code across multiple
> modules before having to checkin anything and wait for an official build from some automated
server.

> Now you might think, this is already supported with a chained resolver returnFirst="true".
 That would be true
> except for the revision number.  The locally published module may not have the same revision
number that a
> transitive resolve would find.  Therefore, it would skip the locally published module
since "LOCAL" isn't what
> it is looking for.  I think we both want the locally published module to take precedence
regardless of what the
> revision is.
>
> Currently the only way to do this is to turn on resolveMode="dynamic" for that module.
 But the problem with