ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Archie Cobbs" <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Ivy RoundUp Repository - feedback requested
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 02:01:16 GMT
On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:03 AM, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > So far, my understanding is that those issues are being addressed by the
> > ivy community with ivy files manually created, optimized and put in some
> > proxy repository (or a local file system resolver). A proxy repository
> > can also be used to provide artifacts that aren't directly available
> > from the public repositories. The proxy repo maintainer can (and perhaps
> > should) take up the task of preparing these artifacts. The good thing
> > about this approach is, they only need to be prepared once and then kept
> > in the proxy for good, instead of having to be involved in every build
> > process.
>
> Good, but to maintain your proxy when a new version is out you have to
> reproduce very similar steps. I think the idea of roundup repo comes from
> this experience, feeling that you lose time because you're missing
> "distilling" instructions. So with Ivy roundup it's super easy to setup a
> proxy: the proxy use Ivy roundup, the end user use the proxy. It's not the
> approach taken yet, because most people starting to use a dependency
> manager
> don't want to have to setup a proxy or server or whatever. They want
> something that works out of the box with resources available over the net.
> That's why I think the roudup repo AND the "builder" resolver make sense.
> Now I agree that pretty quickly we'll need some other tools than the
> "builder" resolver to access the repo. But I think the value is not in the
> resolver, the value is in the repository of Ivy files AND "distilling"
> instructions.
>
> > So, the proxy-based approach works well enough at least for me. And that
> > is why I said earlier that I would be immensely interested in a
> > community-maintained ivy metadata repository that does not require a
> > special resolver to access, i.e., can be hooked in with a dual resolver.
> > That would make it a great _and_ easily accessible channel for all
> > the ivy users to share manually optimized metadata.
>
> With only Ivy files, you can hit the problem of naming inconsistencies.
> Ivy
> namespaces can help, but I'm not sure it can address all problems. The
> roundup approach has no limitation, except the time required to create the
> metadata.

To give an update to the list...

We've been doing a lot of work on the Ivy RoundUp repository and things are
moving along nicely. One important new feature we've added is support for
building a normal repository from the RoundUp meta-data.

We're starting to look for people to start really using it as well, and
(hopefully) contribute suggestions and new modules/revisions that you may
have, or want, etc.

There is a also a mailing list set up now. Join us there if you're
interested.

Details on all of this are on the project site:
http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/

Thanks,
-Archie

--