ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From <>
Subject useOrigin and caching of files
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 04:42:45 GMT
>No, because useOrigin is only an hint to the cache
>implementation. Those resources can't be used at their
>original location (after resolve, artifacts must be available
>as files, so only files can't be used from their original
>location). Hence even with useOrigin="true" Ivy will actually
>download and cache the remote resources and use the original
>location of the "local"
>artifacts (local can be actually a network accessible filesystem).

Related to your comment above, if we have repositories that are not
local and cannot easily be represented as a filesystem, but also the
content cannot or should not be downloaded and cached as you describe,
what options are there for dealing with that? As I mentioned, we are
interested in using Ivy but our content in many situations is way to
large to have Ivy handle in its normal manner.

Is there any way to fake artifacts being available as files? Or prevent
that happening during resolve? Could Ivy be enhanced in any way to
handle this kind of use case?

Would it be possible to do a custom download via an event hook and then
have Ivy report the files are available?

When I first started reading about Ivy I made the assumption that
resolve was purely about determining if all the dependencies are
available and where they could be obtained from, but it seems it is a
little more complex than that.

Thanks for all the assistance!

View raw message