ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Hans Dockter <m...@dockter.biz>
Subject Re: [ANN] Gradle, a new build system, which uses Ivy
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:20:07 GMT
Hi Carlton,

On Apr 22, 2008, at 4:11 PM, Brown, Carlton wrote:

> [...]

I don't want to abuse the Ivy mailing list too much. It would be
great if you can post questions of this kind to the Gradle mailing
list. This one I gonna answer here.

It is not the _goal_ of Gradle to use Ant without XML. It is a
feature of Gradle that you can use Ant _tasks_ (but you don't need to).

One might divide Ant into two layers. The first layer is the Ant
language. It contains the syntax for the build.xml, the handling of
the targets, special constructs like macrodefs, ...The second layer
of Ant is its tasks and types.

Calling Ant Tasks with Groovy is a build-in Groovy feature. Thus Gant
and Gradle offer this feature by simply using Groovy (with a tiny bit
of sugar on top).

The interesting thing is the language layer. Both Gradle and Gant
have there own implementation for this layer. For Gradle this layer
contains support for multi-project builds, pluggable build-by-
convention frameworks (e.g. for Java projects),
a rich api for targets (Gradles calls them differently). There are
many more features on top of that.

Gradle enables using Ant tasks but Gradle is a completely different
animal to Ant when it comes to writing the actual build script and
organizing your build logic. This is not just a difference between
Groovy and XML.

> This message contains PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL
> information that is intended only for use by the
> named recipient. If you are not the named recipient,
> any disclosure, dissemination, or action based on
> the contents of this message is prohibited. In such
> case please notify us and destroy and delete all
> copies of this transmission.  Thank you.

Hans Dockter
Gradle Project lead
http://www.gradle.org