ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject developer local override of dependencies
Date Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:54:01 GMT
I would like developers to be able to locally override the dependencies they get from the repository
with modules they have built themselves.  Below are my use case descriptions:

Use Case 1:
Let's say I have modules A, B, and C such that A depends on B which depends on C.  A developer
needs to do some work in modules B and C.  He has checked out sandboxes for both modules B
and C.  He makes his changes to C in his local sandbox.  Before checking it into the source
repository, he wants to make his changes to B and test against his changes to C.  So he publishes
his locally built C module to a private repository locally on his machine.  He then switches
to working on B.  He runs a resolve/retrieve.  His friendly CM guy has already configured
his ivy settings file to look first in the private local repository using a chain resolver
with returnFirst="true".  With these settings and a dependency revision of "latest", he will
successfully pick up his locally published C for use with his changes in B.  He then can feel
confident everything will work together and checks in changes to both B and C.  Everybody
is happy.

Use Case 2:
Now let's say that a different developer wants to do the same workflow but he is working in
modules A and C instead of B and C.  Just like the other developer he publishes his changes
to C locally to a private repo.  However, when he does a resolve/retrieve from A, it does
NOT pick up the private copy of C in the local repo.  This is because A uses the "latest"
rule to get B which it find in the public repository.  Then IVY looks up C transitively by
using the specific revision of C that was used to build the revision of B already found.
Since this specific revision of C is used in the lookup, it won't find the private local C
since who know what revision number it has.

How can I fix Use Case 2 to work as elegantly as Use Case 1?  The new resolveMode feature
is perfect for this problem.  If the developer in Use Case 2, changed the ivy settings file
and added a module override to set resolveMode="dynamic", everything would work perfectly
and the private local C would be found.  However, that is an extra step for the developer
and he has to know all about ivy settings files.  I am trying to hide all of that from developers
since most of them don't want to learn.  I added a special publish.local ANT target so that
any developer could run it and publish locally to his own private repo.  I wouldn't want him
to also go into the ivy settings file and manually add the resolveMode override too.  How
could I make this more automatic with the ANT build file?

One idea I have is to use a variable in the resolveMode setting so that I could change its
value and, therefore, the resolve behavior with an ANT property.  Then inside my ANT build
file just before the resolve/retrieve task, I could scan the private repo looking for modules
that have been published there and set the ANT properties to "dynamic" for each module I find.
 I don't know if this would work, but it suffers from requiring me to add a module override
with a resolveMode variable setting for EVERY module that exists.  That is a pain and requires
updating everytime a new module gets created.

Any suggestions?  I use this workflow all the time when I need to make changes that span multiple
modules.  I want to test all my changes to all modules together before checking in anything.

---
Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.