ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Gradle, a new build system, which uses Ivy
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:41:36 GMT
Hans Dockter wrote:
> We are very excited to announce Gradle, a new build system.
>
> We announce it on this list, as Gradle uses Ivy for its dependency
> management.
>
> To learn more about Gradle, have a look at http://www.gradle.org
>
> or its 50+ pages userguide:
> http://gradle.org/userguide/release/userguide.pdf

Nice to see such detailed docs.

> Ivy is so tremendously superior to the Maven2 dependency management, and
> yet it seems Maven2 is taking up more and more of the market share. Ivy
> scales up extremely well. What I think is missing is an EasyIvy which
> does pretty much what Maven does. But without locking you in, into this
> simplified approach. Gradle is offering exactly this (and many other
> things).

To be honest, I think its eclipse that is taking up more and more market
share. We no longer have a java world of non-standard IDEs and console
only development. Some

> There have been only a few things I was missing. The Ivy API does not
> provide functionality for getting a list of files pointing to the local
> location of the resolved libraries. I had to do a copy'n'paste from
> Ivy's Ant cachepath task. On first sight, the same seems to be true for
> doing reports. I need to have a close look on this topic.

Something to put into the api then.

> I think it is an exciting time for build systems. Gradle is written in
> Groovy and the build scripts are in Groovy. We think internal DSL's
> based on a general purpose language like Groovy are better suited for
> writing build scripts than XML. This is a different discussion though.

Nice to see what you've done; I've put up a blog entry that will come
out into planet apache shortly.

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/