ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Archie Cobbs" <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: Ivy RoundUp Repository - feedback requested
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:42:21 GMT
On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > For #1, for now anybody who wants to join as a committer is welcome..
> get
> > in on the ground floor! :-)
>
> I step up, even though I'm not sure to get much time to involve.

Please email me your google ID and I'll add you as a member.

> > For #2, this is an interesting discussion. I am willing to write the
> code,
> > but I need the help of this list to understand what is the best
> approach.
>
> Importing stuff from maven 2 is interesting because there's already a lot
> of
> modules. But sometimes the quality is really not there, and the risk of a
> massive import is to inherit the low level of quality. So I think we need
> be very careful with the import, and make import only when necessary at
> least to start. A lot can be necessary pretty quickly (some projects bring
> lot of dependencies). IMO, what's very important to start having a good
> repo
> is to have some tools to check the consistency. I think we need at least
> ensure that each module can be resolved alone with Ivy used with an empty
> cache. This check is pretty easy to implement, and will save a lot of
> mistakes. We could even put the xml resolution report in the repository:
> it
> could be useful to have transitive dependencies information.
>
> If we agree on package like naming convention for organization, another
> interesting check is to check the organization name compared to the
> package
> name (for java projects).
>
> IMO implementing these checks is the most important to ensure a high level
> of quality from the beginning. With these tools, it will be a lot safer to
> provide commit rights to a large number of people. The problem is that
> writing these tools require some time.

I agree that quality should take priority over quantity. Quantity will
happen naturally over time... but quality won't! It only happens through
deliberate effort, good automated tools, etc.

In other words, as more people use the repository, they will run across
modules that are missing... at that time we will add the missing module,
possibly with help from the person who needed it. So the repository grows in
line with the needs and interests of its user base.

I will work on implementing some further automated checks.

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs