ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jing Xue <jing...@digizenstudio.com>
Subject Re: Ivy RoundUp Repository - feedback requested
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:17:22 GMT

Quoting Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>:

> Hello fellow Ivy users,
>
> I'd like to announce a new little project I've started, and ask for your
> feedback (and help, if interested).
>
> This project has two basic parts...
>
>    1. *Builder
> Resolver*<http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/svn/wiki/files/builder.html>:
>    a new Ivy resolver that accesses ivy files and "build
> instructions" from an
>    online "builder" repository. "Builder" repositories contain ivy.xml files
>    but no artifacts. To get the artifacts, the build instructions are
>    downloaded from the repository and executed locally. These instructions
>    specify additional resource(s) to download and how to build the artifacts
>    from them, for example, by downloading a project's original distribution
>    archive directly from their web site and extracting the desired artifacts.
>    2. *Ivy RoundUp Repository* <http://ivyroundup.googlecode.com/>: an
>    online, open-source community "Builder" repository for all Ivy users.
[snip]

I read the thread on the dev list, and was thoroughly interested in
the idea of a community-maintained public ivy.xml repository, because
a carefully defined ivy.xml provides a lot more value than the ones
generated from the pom, and would be something worth sharing.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I see the value in the builder
resolver. I guess I'm having a hard time imagining a use case where I
would prefer building a 3rd party artifact locally rather than simply
downloading it through an ibiblio resolver, or from a company-level
proxy repository.

Cheers.
--
Jing Xue