ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [LIKELY_SPAM]Re: specify versions separate from dependencies
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:27:04 GMT
On 31/03/2008, Niklas Matthies <ml_ivy-user@nmhq.net> wrote:
> On Mon 2008-03-31 at 08:39h, Johannes Stamminger wrote on ivy-user:
>
> > On Saturday 29 March 2008, Gilles Scokart wrote:
>  > > On 28/03/2008, Johannes Stamminger <Johannes.Stamminger@astrium.eads.net>
wrote:

> :
>  > > >  the exclude and override I could imagine that it would make sense to
>  > > > specify them per dependency - not only globally for all dependencies
>  > > > ?
>  > >
>  > > Why would you exclude or overwrite it for one dependency but not for the
>  > > others?
>
> :
>  > P1 -> L1 -> L2
>  > and
>  > P1 -> L3 -> L2
>  >
>  > With the global exclude L2 still is not in P1 though it is needed
>  > now. With specifying it only for the dependency to L1, people in P1
>  > get triggered to analyse the dependency again (when detecting the
>  > newly included L2). With specifying it globally one runs into
>  > problems in worst case (dynamic load of L2 in L1) only very late.
>

> I wonder how the semantics is intended to be anyway (by Ivy).
>  What if L1 excludes (some revisions of) L2 because it isn't compatible
>  with them? Can L3 cause such in incompatible revision to be included
>  anyway? What if L3 uses <override>?
>
>  In that light, it seems to me that applying exclude/override globally
>  is the only thing that makes sense. The logic by which Ivy prunes
>  dependency subtrees is based on the assumption that it doesn't matter
>  in which order conflicts are considered; that the result will be the
>  same regardless of the order. Exclude/override/conflict do break that
>  assumption, unless they are applied globally.
>

>  -- Niklas Matthies

Ugh.  You see it more globally than me.
I was just thinking it is only usefull at a global level, meaning
accros all the dependency of a module.
You pinpoint (rightfully I think) that it only make sense even more
globaly, accross all the modules that may depends on you.
It looks like we will need to manage the conflicts between
exclusion/overwrite/conflict managment ??

--
Gilles Scokart