ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Error message when using different settings
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:32:27 GMT

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Jim Adams <Jim.Adams@sas.com> wrote:
>
> > Since the cache is global to all processes running on the machine I
> would
> > think that it is very possible to get in the described situation. I
> could be
> > downloading the same named module using 2 different resolvers and the
> > modules could serve very different purposes. I may be forced into this
> for
> > legacy reasons. I think the solution would be that the resolve engine
> take
> > into account the resolver that was used to resolve the module and ignore
> any
> > module resolved by a different resolver.
>

> Mm, I see different cases, with different answers. In some cases you use
> the
> same cache with different settings and even different repositories with
> different metadata (this happens when you work on different projects, each
> with its own settings, but using the default cache location). Then you'd
> like Ivy to be able to isolate work from each dependency resolution, to
> avoid strange collisions. The other use case is Hans' one, where you have
> different settings but all of them lead to the same repositories, so you
> want to really share the cache to improve performance.
>
> I think Ivy should support both, with sensible defaults.

Yes, ivy should support both, and I think that should be configurable at the
level of the cache.  We could either have a parameter indicating if the
cache should be "resolver aware" (I think that would be difficult to
implement) or have the cache being always "resolver unaware" and ask to the
user to use 2 separated cache if he want the isolation between 2 repository
accross build (might be easier to implement).

Can someone raise a jira issue for that?

--
Gilles Scokart