ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Buck, Robert" <rb...@verisign.com>
Subject Confusion/Questions Regarding Settings File in Beta 2
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:20:38 GMT
Hi,

I probably need my head realigned, but could you help me understand
something?

I have the settings file below. And what I am doing is the following (or
so I think I am doing this):

1. Cache all HTTP downloads into the "download-cache". This is
accomplished by specifying "download-cache" on the "url" based resolver.
When I run the build, I confirm this indeed does work as I anticipated.
Good.

2. Define a "Local IVYREP" or sorts in the "ivy/ivyrep" directory. What
I anticipate using this for is for read-only retrievals in case I want
to test an upgrade of some library to a newer version, without impacting
anyone. (Problem, see below)

3. Specify to IVY where to put its resolution cache and repository
cache.

Concerns/Problems:

1. The ivy publish commands seem to put the jars from my build in both
the "ivy/cache/repository" directory and the "ivy/ivyrep" directory.
Shuffling around copies of build artifacts is expensive.

2. The "local" ivy/ivyrep directory should remain empty, or at least
that is my goal.

What would help me is if I could understand what exact purpose
resolution caches, repository caches have, and what their relationship
is to a "local-resolver". Could someone explain this?

And, if possible, could someone help me do the final tweaks to this
setup?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ivysettings>
  <settings defaultResolver="default-chain"/>
  <property name="ivy.local.repository"
value="${workspace.root}/ivy/ivyrep" override="false"/>
  <caches resolutionCacheDir="${workspace.root}/ivy/cache/resolution"
repositoryCacheDir="${workspace.root}/ivy/cache/repository">
    <cache name="download-cache"
basedir="${sandbox.root}/ivy/cache/download"/>
  </caches>
  <resolvers>
    <filesystem name="local-resolver">
      <ivy
pattern="${ivy.local.repository}/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/ivys
/ivy-[revision].xml"/>
      <artifact
pattern="${ivy.local.repository}/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[typ
e]s/[artifact].[ext]"/>
      <artifact
pattern="${ivy.local.repository}/[organisation]/[module]/[revision]/[typ
e]s/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"/>
    </filesystem>
    <url name="public-resolver" cache="download-cache">
      <ivy
pattern="http://localhost:37373/ivyrep/[organisation]/[module]/[revision
]/ivys/ivy-[revision].xml"/>
      <artifact
pattern="http://localhost:37373/ivyrep/[organisation]/[module]/[revision
]/[type]s/[artifact].[ext]"/>
      <artifact
pattern="http://localhost:37373/ivyrep/[organisation]/[module]/[revision
]/[type]s/[artifact]-[revision].[ext]"/>
    </url>
    <chain name="default-chain" returnFirst="true">
      <resolver ref="local-resolver"/>
      <resolver ref="public-resolver"/>
    </chain>
  </resolvers>